- 1 Detailed SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2018
- 1.1 SSC JE Paper-1 Exam Pattern
- 1.1.1 SSC JE Paper-2 Exam Pattern
- 1.1.2 SSC JE Tier-1 Exam Syllabus
- 1.1.3 SSC JE Paper-II Exam Syllabus
- 1.1.4 Syllabus for Structural Engineering
- 1.1.5 Syllabus for Electrical Engineering
- 1.1.6 Syllabus for Electrical Machines
- 1.1.7 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
- 1.1.8 Recommended Books for SSC JE Exam
- 1.1 SSC JE Paper-1 Exam Pattern
Detailed SSC JE Exam Syllabus 2018
Hello Dear Aspirants..! (Staff Selection Commission) SSC JE 2018 Paper-1 Exam is going to conduct on November 2018. So, those candidates who are going to appear for SSC JE Tier-1 Exam so for them on this page we are going to provide the whole syllabus for SSC JE Exam. And it is expected that (JE) Junior Engineer Exam is going to schedule on November 2018. SSC JE Paper-2 Exam is going to conduct on 2019. Candidates are advised to before appearing in SSC JE Exam they all have to take a look at the Detailed Syllabus for Tier-1 & 2 Exam. Below we provide Latest Syllabus for SSC Junior Engineer Exam.
As we all know SSC JE Tier-1 Exam is going to conduct via Online Mode. And it has four sections in total. Total Marks allotted for JE Tier-1 Exam is 200 and only 120 Minute (2 Hour) time for the completion of SSC JE Tier-1 Exam. Negative marking is applicable which is 0.5 Marks will be deducted for every question that is attempted wrong in Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineer Exam.
SSC JE Paper-1 Exam Pattern
|Paper||Section Asked||Maximum Marks||Exam Time Duration|
|Paper-I||General Awareness||50||2 Hours|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||50|
|Part A-General Engineering (Civil & Structural)||100|
|Part B-General Engineering (Electrical)|
|Part C-General Engineering (Mechanical)|
|Part-II||Part A- General Engineering (Civil & Structural)||300||2 Hours|
|Part B- General Engineering (Electrical)|
|Part C- General Engineering (Mechanical)|
SSC JE Paper-2 Exam Pattern
|Paper||Mode of Examination||Subjects||Total Marks||Total time duration|
|Paper-II (Conventional Type)||Written Mode||Part-A General Engineering (Civil & Structural) or Part B General Engineering (Electrical) or Part C General Engineering (Mechanical)||300 Marks||3 Hour|
SSC JE Tier-1 Exam Syllabus
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||Questions on Analogies, Differences, Similarities, Problem Solving, Space Visualization, Judgment and Analysis.
Visual Memory, Decision Making, Observation, Discrimination, Arithmetical Reasoning, Relationship Concepts
Verbal and Figure Classification, Arithmetical Number Series etc.
And various questions are designed to test abilities of candidates with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationship.
Arithmetical Computations and other analytical function.
|General Awareness||Questions relating to India and its neighboring countries and especially pertaining to culture, history, Economic Scene, Geography, Scientific Research and General Polity etc.|
|General Engineering (Civil)||Part A: Civil Engineering
· Costing and Valuation
· Building Materials, Estimating
· Surveying, Soil Mechanics
· Transportation Engineering
· Irrigation Engineering
· Structural Engineering: Theory of Structures
· Environmental Engineering
· RCC Design, Steel Design
· Concrete Technology
|General Engineering (Electrical)||Part B: Electrical Engineering
· Circuit Law
· Basic concepts
· AC Fundamentals
· Magnetic Circuit
· Electrical Machines
· Measurement and Measuring Instruments.
· Synchronous Machines
· Fractional Kilowatt Motors and Single Phase Induction Motors.
· Estimation and Costing, Utilization and Electrical Energy
· Generation, Transmission and Distribution
· Basic Electronics
|General Engineering (Mechanical)||Part C: Mechanical Engineering
· Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
· Theory of Machines and Machine Design
· 1st Law of Thermodynamics
· 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
· Properties of Pure Substances
· IC Engine Combustion
· IC Engine Performance
· Rankin Cycle of System
· Air Standard Cycles for IC Engines
· IC Engine Cooling & Lubrication
· Air Compressors & their cycles
· Fitting & Accessories
· Principles of Refrigeration Plant
· Refrigeration Cycles
· Properties & Classification of Fluids
· Nozzles & Steam Turbines
· Measurement of Fluid Pressure
· Fluid Statics
· Dynamics of Ideal Fluids
· Fluid Kinematics
· Basics Principles
· Measurement of Flow Rate
· Centrifugal Pumps
· Classification of Steels
· Hydraulic Turbines
SSC JE Paper-II Exam Syllabus
|Building Material||· Classification, Standard Test
· Physical and Chemical Properties
· Asbestos Products, Timber and wood based products
· Laminates, Bituminous material, paints, varnishes
· Uses and Manufactures/ quarrying of Materials i.e. Silicate based materials, building stones, cement (Portland)
|Estimating, Costing and Valuation||· Analysis of rates, methods and unit of measurement
· Estimate, glossary of technical terms
· RCC Work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, Plastering
· Items of Work – earthwork, Brick work (Modular & Traditional Bricks)
· Centre line method, Mid-Section formula, Trapezoidal formula
· Simpson’s rule.
· Boundary wall, Water Tank, Brick building, Bar bending schedule, Septic tank
· Valuation- Value and cost, scrap value, assessed value, Salvage value, depreciation and obsolescence, sinking fund, methods of valuation.
|Surveying||· Compass traversing, bearings, local attraction
· Principles of Surveying, measurement of distance, working of prismatic compass, Chain surveying
· Definition of terms used in leveling, contouring, curvature and refraction corrections
· Plane table surveying, the dolite traversing, Leveling, Adjustment of the dolite
· Temporary and permanent adjustments of dumpy level.
· Definition of terms used in leveling, curvature, contouring and refraction corrections
· Tachometric survey, curve setting, advances surveying equipment, earth work calculation
· Methods of contouring, Uses of contour map
|Soil Mechanics||· Phase Diagram
· Origin of Soil
· Porosity, Degree of saturation
· Definitions- Void ratio
· Density index and interrelationship of different parameters
· Water content, Specific gravity of soil grains, unit weights
· Grain size distribution curves and their uses.
· Coefficient of permeability, determination of coefficient of 12 permeability
· Index properties of soils, Atterberg’s Limits, ISI soil classification and plasticity chart.
· Principles of consolidation, degree of consolidation, normally consolidated soil, Pre-consolidation pressure.
· Unconfined and confined aquifers, quick sand, effective stress, consolidation of soils.
· Shear strength of soils, Vane shear test, direct shear test, Triaxial test.
· E-log P curve, Computation of ultimate settlement
· Bearing capacity of soils, Plate load test and standard penetration test.
· Laboratory compaction test, Soil compaction, maximum dry density and optimum moisture content, Active and passive earth pressure, earth pressure theories.
· Fluid Properties
· Bernoulli’s theorem and its application, flow through pipes
· Measurements of flow
· Weirs, flumes, spillways and turbines
· Flow in open channels
|Irrigation Engineering||· Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, rain gauge, run off coefficient, losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration etc.
· Definition, necessity, effects of irrigation, benefits, types and methods of irrigation.
· Different type of canals, types of canal irrigation, loss of water in canals.
· Water requirement of crops, delta and base period, duty, Kharif and Rabi crops, Time factor, Command area, Crop ratio, Irrigation efficiencies, Overlap allowance
· Shallow and deep to wells, yield from a well.
· Canal lining – types and advantages.
· Lacey’s theory of uniform flow, Definition of flood, methods of flood control, causes and effects, Preventive measure, water logging.
· Major irrigation projects in India.
· Land reclamation. Purposes, characteristics of affecting fertility of soils, methods, description of land and reclamation processes.
|Transportation Engineering||· Design of Flexible and rigid pavements – (WBM) Water Bound Macadam and (WMM) Wet Mix Macadam, Bituminous construction, Gravel road
· Fixtures and fastening, points and crossing, track geometry, stations and yards, track junction.
· Highway engineering – Geometric design, cross sectional elements, types of pavements, Pavement materials – Different tests, aggregates and bitumen
· Traffic Engineering – Speed flow density and their interrelationships, traffic signals, intersections and interchanges, traffic operation, road safety, traffic signs and markings
· Rigid pavement joint, Highway drainage, Pavement maintenance, Railway Engineering- Components of permanent way – ballast, sleepers.
|Environmental Engineering||· Source of water supply, purification of water
· Quality of water
· Circular sewer, Oval sewer, sewer appurtenances
· Distribution of water, sewerage systems, need of sanitation
· Solid waste management – effects, types, engineered management system
· Sewage treatments, Surface water drainage
· Air Pollution – Pollutants, effects, causes, control
· Noise Pollution – Health effects, cause, control
Syllabus for Structural Engineering
|Theory of Structures||· Types of beams – determinate and indeterminate
· Elasticity constants
· Cantilever and over hanging beams.
· Moment of area and moment of inertia for rectangular & circular sections
· Bending moment and shear stress for tee
· Bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported
· Chimneys, dams and retaining walls.
· Channel and compound sections.
|Concrete Technology||· Cement aggregates, importance of water quality
· Properties, Advantages and uses of concrete
· Storage, batching, mixing, Placement
· Water cement ratio, workability, mix design
· Quality control of concrete, hot weather and cold weather concreting
· Repair and maintenance of concrete structures
|RCC Design||· Shear strength, bond strength
· RCC beams- flexural strength
· Cantilever beams, T-beams, lintels
· Design of singly reinforced and double reinforced beams.
· Reinforced brick works, columns, staircase, retaining wall
· One way and two way 12 slabs, isolated footings
· Water tanks (RCC Design questions may be based on both limit state and working stress methods)
|Steel Design||· Beams roof trusses plate girders
· Steel design and construction of steel columns
Syllabus for Electrical Engineering
|Basic Concepts||· Inductance
· Concept of Resistance
· Capacitance and various factors affecting them
· Concept of current, Power, Voltage, energy and their units
|Circuit Law||· Simple Circuit solution using network theorems
· Kirchhoff’s law
|Magnetic Circuit||· Different kinds of Magnetic materials
· Concepts of flux, MMF, Reluctance
· Electromagnetic induction, self and mutual induction
· Magnetic calculations for conductors of different configuration e.g. Circular, Straight, Solenoid etc
|AC Fundamentals||· Representation of sinusoidal wave form, simple series and parallel AC circuits consisting of R.L and C, Resonance, Tank Circuit
· Instantaneous, Peak, R.M.S and average values of alternating waves.
· 3 phase power
· Poly phase system – star and delta connection
· DC and sinusoidal response of R-Land R-C circuit
|Measurement & Measuring Instruments||· 2 Wattmeter method of 3 phase power measurement
· Measurement of power (1 Phase and 3 Phase, both active and re-active) and energy
· Ammeter and voltmenter (both moving oil and moving iron type), extension of range wattmeter, Megger, Multimeters, Energy meter AC Bridges.
· Measurement of frequency and phase angle.
· Use of CRO, CT, Signal Generator, PT and their uses. Earth Fault detection.
Syllabus for Electrical Machines
|D.C Machines||· Method of braking motor
· Basic Principles of D.C motors and generators, Speed control and starting of D.C motors and their characteristics
|1 Phase and 3 Phase Transformers||· Voltage Regulation
· Equivalent Circuit
· Construction and Principles of operation
· OC and SC Tests
· Effect of voltage
· Losses and efficiency
· Parallel operation of 1 Phase/ 3 Phase transformers
· Frequency and wave form on losses
· Rotating magnetic field
· Auto transformers 3 phase induction motors
· Equivalent circuit
· Principle of operation
· Starting and speed control of 3 phase induction motors
· Torque- Speed characteristics
· Methods of braking
· Effect of voltage and frequency variation on torque speed characteristics
|Synchronous Machines||· Voltage regulation
· Generation of 3 Phase e.m.f armature reaction
· Parallel operation of two alternators
· Control of active and reactive power
|Generation Transmission and Distribution||· Load factor
· Different types of power stations
· Demand factor
· Inter-connection of power stations
· Cost of generation
· Various types of traffics
· Power factor improvement
· Types of faults
· Switchgears – Rating of circuit breakers
· Short circuit current for symmetrical faults
· H.R.C Fuses
· Principles of arc extinction by oil and air
· Protection against earth leakage/ over current etc
|Estimation and Costing||· Electric installation of machines and relevant IE rules
· Estimation of lighting scheme
· Earthing practices and IE Rules.
|Utilization of Electrical Energy||· Electric heating
· Electric welding
· Electric drives and motors
|Basic Electronics||· BJT and JFET
· Working of various electronic devices e.g. Transistors (NPN and PNP type), P N Junction diodes
Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
|Theory of Machines and Machine Design||· Four bar linkage and link motion
· Concept of simple machine
· Power transmission by belts – V – belts and flat belts
· Flywheels and fluctuation of energy
· Gears- Type of gears, gear profile and gear ratio calculation
· Clutches – Plate and Conical clutch
· Riveted joint
· Governors – Principles and Classification
· Friction in collars and pivots
|Engineering Machines & Strength of Materials||· Law of motion
· Equilibrium of Forces
· Concepts of Stress and Strain
· Bending moments and shear force diagram
· Elastic limit and elastic constants
· Torsion of circular shafts
· Stress in composite bars
· Torsion of circular shafts
· Thin walled pressure vessels
· Bucking of columns – Euler’s and Rankin’s theories
|Thermal Engineering||· Introduction of steam table with respect to steam generation process.
· Properties of Pure substance P-V & P-T diagrams of pure substance like H2O
· Definition of Saturation wet & superheated status.
· Introduction of steam table with respect to steam generation process.
· H-S chart of steam (Mollier Chart)
· Defination of dryness fraction of steam, degree of superheat of steam.
|Properties & Classification of Fluid||· Newton’s law of viscosity
· Ideal and real fluids
· Compressible and Incompressible fluids
· Newtonian and Incompressible fluids
|Fluid Statics||· Measurement of Fluid
· Pressure at a point
· Inclined tube
|Fluid Kinematics||· External and Internal flow
· Stream line, laminar & turbulent flow
· Continuity equation
|Dynamics of Ideal Fluids||· Total head
· Bernoulli’s equation
· Pressure head
· Velocity head
· Application of Bernoulli’s equation
|Centrifugal Pumps||· Principles
|Production Engineering Classification of Steels||· Heat treatment of steel
· Mild steal & alloy steel
· Gas welding
· Welding – Arc Welding
· Special Welding Techniques i.e. MIG, TIG etc. (Brazing & Soldering)
· Resistance Welding
· Welding Defects & Testing
· NDT, Foundry & Casting – Methods, defects, different casting processes
Recommended Books for SSC JE Exam
|SSC Junior Engineers (Mechanical) Exam Guide (Popular Master Guide)|
|SSC Junior Engineers (CWC/ CPWD/ MES) Mechanical Engineering 19 Practice Sets & 9 Solved Papers 2008-2015|
|SSC: Junior Engineers Exam Guide: Junior Engineers (Civil & Structural) Exam Guide|
|SSC Junior Engineers (CPWD/ CWC/ MES) Civil Engineering: 19 Practice Sets & 9 Solved Papers 2008-2015|
|SSC Jr. Engineer (Electrical) Exam Guide|
|SSC (CPWD/ CWC/ MES) Electrical Engineering (Junior Engineers) 19 Practice Papers 2016|
|SSC Reasoning (General Intelligence and Reasoning) (Hindi)|
|SSC Speed Tests General Intelligence & Reasoning|
|SSC Graduate Level Exam Reasoning (General Intelligence and Reasoning): Year Wise Solved Papers 1999-2014|
|SSC General Awareness Chapterwise Solved Papers – English – 1610: Chapterwise Solved papers 1997 to till date (9100+ Objective Question)|
In this post, we mentioned all relevant details regarding SSC JE Exam Syllabus and Exam Pattern So, candidates if you have any query regarding SSC JE Exam Syllabus then ping us through the below provided comment section.